Monday, July 29, 2013

Pureed Vegetable Soup





Do you have a stockpile of zucchini from the garden? I sure do.


And just when I think I've seen the end of it, my husband brings me four more. He promises these are the last....he knows I am running out of freezer space.

My family isn't big on zucchini bread, only I am, so other than eating zucchini fresh in salads or in stir fry we didn't have a big need for it.  I guess it's mostly just fun to grow, and boy does it grow! My husband loves to grow just about anything, and he is very good at it. Therefore....I have a lot!

Luckily about a year ago I happened to find an interesting recipe for a soup that consisted of just four vegetables, one of them being zucchini. I decided to try it, and it was surprisingly good.  After making a few changes in the recipe, I came up with something my whole family likes and even guests.  In fact, everytime I serve it someone asks me for the recipe. We love this recipe so much I make it almost every week, and I always have plenty in the freezer.  It's even a great snack.   Weight watcher points are only 1 point per cup.


















Pureed Vegetable Soup   
2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth. (one of each is nice)
3 cups cut up celery  - see note below on celery*
3 cups cut up peeled carrots
3 cups cut up green beans (canned works too, drained)
3 cups cut up zucchini, I never peel zucchini.
1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste

In a large kettle add all ingredients together.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Puree soup with a hand blender until smooth.

























Ready to serve!

If you like add cut  up cooked meats, cooked rice, quinoa or all three.  Personally I like to cube left over  baked potatoes and add them to my soup. Or pour some soup over my baked potato.



*Puree celery first as an option

Note - here is a tip if you are having trouble with stringy celery in your finished product.  Before cooking, put the cut up celery in a blender with some of the broth and puree on high. Then add to other ingredients and cook as usual.  This makes the soup very smooth and almost creamy. 

Adding broth to cut up celery in vitamix or blender.


Pureed celery is a nice smooth texture.

And as usual, I make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick meal or as an addition to just about any meal.                                   





I sure hope you give this healthy soup a try…and no more wasted zucchini!
                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment