Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes.....


My husband loves to grow things, which means I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what to do with it all.  We basically do two things with our tomatoes, we freeze them and we make fresh salsa (which later becomes the base for a terrific enchilada sauce). To freeze the tomatoes I discovered this super simple method years ago. Wash and dry tomatoes, core, or cut off end of the core side of  the tomatoes (I do this with Roma tomatoes) and place on a large cookie sheet.

Place in freezer and leave until tomatoes are completely frozen.   When frozen, take them out and put in a  gallon size freezer bag.

Be sure to label your freezer bag, I usually just put the current year. And that's it your done.

I use these frozen tomatoes for chili and soup all year long in the place of canned tomatoes.  I usually double my recipes and freeze the second batch of whatever it is for when I need a quick meal. So, with that in mind I will dump the entire bag of frozen tomatoes in a large glass or Pyrex bowl.  Microwave until soft enough to puree either with a hand blender or in a counter top blender. Yes, skin and all. The counter top blender will give you a smoother product. And that's all there is to it. I even use these in the base of my lasagna sauce when the recipe calls for canned tomatoes, but I might just use 1/2 a bag in that situation. Easy and healthy....give it a try.

Stay tuned for the salsa recipe....my husband has been working on it for several years and it is a winner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment