Saturday, March 24, 2012

Oat Banana Waffles




















This simple waffle recipe has been a staple for my daughter and I for about 19 years. It is yeast free, dairy free, fat free, and gluten free (as long as you are using certified gluten free oats like Bob's Red Mill.) It is also perfect for vegans.

I like these fresh off the waffle iron, reheated in the toaster or packed in a lunch with nut butter and jam. They are delicious with Pure Maple Syrup and with nut butters and jam.  My daughter and I like them best with nut butter and chocolate chips. Sliced bananas on top of the syrup or nut butter is a great combination too.

Weight watchers count each whole waffle has 5 points or 1.25 for each fourth.  I find that half a waffle with some nut butter and jam is a nice snack. I absolutely always make extra and freeze them. They are super handy in the morning reheated in the toaster. To make sure the insides heat up, I set the toaster on a lower setting and pop them in twice.

Oat Banana Waffles           Makes about 3 1/2 waffles
2 cups Old Fashion Oats (gluten free if necessary)
2 cups water
1 banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
toss in some mini chocolate chips like Enjoy Life Brand, gluten and dairy free

Put all ingredients in a blender at once and mix well. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Pour 1 cup at a time into a hot, lightly oiled (I use Pam) waffle iron. Let cook without looking for about 12 minutes, times may vary. Remove from waffle iron with a folk.  Let cool on a wire rack or eat right away. Crisp on the outside and soft and a little moist on the inside. A great way to eat your oats!



*Note -The batter tends to thicken up a bit, so feel free to add 1-2 Tbsps of water or so but it isn't necessary.

I make several batches at once and freeze them. Place wax paper in between each waffle inside a freezer bag.

Love these waffles....hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment