Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza Without The High Carb Crust





















Maybe it's because I feel my plate needs to be balanced. Maybe it's because at my age it has become more of a challenge to maintain my weight. And maybe it's just because it's so darn quick and easy, that I like to use corn tortillas for my gluten free pizza crust.

Before I found out I couldn't have gluten, I used flour tortillas as a lower carb pizza crust. This works well too, if  you are not gluten sensitive. The thing I like about the corn tortilla is the size, it is perfect for one person. Add a salad and maybe some sorbet for dessert and....WOW, that is a terrific meal. Feels like a true splurge on a Friday night.

No offense to all the great gluten free pre-made pizza crust available on the market, I will be the first to admit they are great. But so much of gluten free bread type products are so dense, that I try to find alternatives whenever possible. We are talking 110 calories for two tortillas and 1.5 weight watcher points each. This means more options to go on top!

So, if you feel like a little pizza one night, give this a try.

Preheat oven to 400.
Sprinkle baking sheet with some cornmeal.
Place a corn tortilla over the cornmeal.
Add some pizza sauce. (See my 0, weight watcher point sauce below)
Top with all your favorite toppings.
If you are sensitive to dairy products try sheep cheese, Shepherds of Cyprus Halloumi, is awesome. Three points per serving. Or try Daiya Mozzarella, 2 points per serving, as an alternative. Both products will melt.
Weight watchers can simply add points, as you add the toppings, to the 1.5 points for the crust.

Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven and how you like your pizza. I like mine really done, so I bake for 10-12 minutes.






Top with some fresh pineapple or tomatoes.




















Cut pizza in fourths and carefully pick up with two hands, (is not as sturdy as other pizza crust) and enjoy.
I often make two and eat the other one for lunch the next day. The last time I did this, my husband (who is not gluten free) actually ate my leftovers and commented on how good it was.

Pizza Sauce
1 8-oz. can of tomato sauce
2 tsp. oregano leaves (I crush them)
1 clove garlic or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
Mix well and let sit for about 15 minutes
Store in refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for later.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment