Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Just Like Pulled Pork - Easy Barbecued Pork Roast. (Gluten free option too)





















Have you ever thought you came up with something new in the food world, just to find out everybody's already tried it?

Well that happened to me when I thought I came up with this great idea for pork roast. No one in our family really liked pork roast, including myself. So we never ate it.....I never cooked it. But after having pulled pork in Hawaii, a few years ago I absolutely fell in love with it. I had never tasted anything so good. I will admit, they have a magical way of cooking it, but it also got me curious.

So I bought some really nice cuts of pork roast and started experimenting.  I tried sauces, rubs, herbs, but nothing came even close to what I had eaten in Hawaii.

One day I had some left-overs in the fridge that nobody seemed to want, and I was seriously considering giving them to our dog, Charlie.

My teen-age son hadn't had lunch yet and I got this idea.....what if I added some bbq sauce to the left over pork and tried to make it look like it had been shredded and served him a hot bbq sandwich? I gave it a try, and he loved it. He even said, "I didn't know we had any of this stuff, I just had this over at a friends house too."  And then a light bulb went off in my head and I thought, why couldn't I add the bbq sauce to the roast while it was in the slow cooker?

Apparently everybody already does this.....jokes on me. Oh well. Huge success, so I decided to share my new revolution with you anyway. And the best part is a lot of bbq sauces are made gluten free now.









The only thing you will need along with a pork roast is some bbq sauce. I purchase my pork roast  from Costco, Premium Pork Sirloin Tip Roast, 98% fat free. I like the way they are packaged, and I always cook two at a time. Left overs are never a problem, in fact there are usually not enough left overs. Yes,...it's that popular with my family.







 Since I cook two at a time I use a larger slow cooker. For one roast the smaller size is perfect.




Rinse and pat dry the pork roast and place in cooker.  Pour a fair amount of bbq sauce over the roast.
My favorite bbq sauce is, Sweet Baby Ray's. Exact measurements aren't that important, just get a nice covering on the roast.





Cover and cook on low for about 9 hours. Check to make sure it's all cooked inside. 
The finished product will look like this.





At this point I remove the roast from the slow cooker and place in a large dish and cover with foil. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Or until you are ready to pull apart.
While you're at it, this would be a good time to remove any meat that you don't want extra bbq sauce on, for example if you are following weight watchers. Remove some of the meat from the inside not the outside edges where the sauce is and each ounce of meat will still be 1 point. If you then want to add some extra sauce to your serving, then you can easily add a measured amount. Two tablespoons of this bbq sauce is 2 points. The roast is delicious with or without the extra sauce.  But it's nice to enjoy what everyone else is eating. 

Grab a knife and start slicing and pulling apart the meat starting at one end, and just slowly work to the other end.  On the edges I cut that area up into small pieces, but the rest will shred nicely.





I like to add even more bbq sauce to moisten and flavor all the meat. Keep tossing and stirring until the meat is evenly covered. Taste as you mix.....yummy!



I use a large serving fork to mix the sauce with the meat, it seems to work well.

Cover with foil to keep warm. I actually keep the prepared bbq pork in the oven on warm until ready to eat.  Toast up some buns, these make a great sandwich. Perfect for a crowd.

These work great on gluten free breads and rolls as well, The Best Gluten Free Sandwich Rolls





Lunch the next day is easy with these left overs!  Just reheat in the microwave and you've got a tasty and hearty sandwich. My husband likes them with shredded cabbage or coleslaw. Try my grandma's recipe.






















If you want to make your own barbecue sauce check out this recipe,  Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce  it's delicious too.





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment