Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oatmeal-Coconut-Raisin Cookies, Gluten Free




















Oh my gosh, these are so good. In fact, even the dough was good, and that doesn't happen very often with gluten free dough! (since I used an egg replacer… dough is safe to eat)




These looked so much like the original cookies I make my husband, that he thought I had made them for him. He is not always a fan of gluten free food, so when he ate one and gave me the thumbs up, I knew I had a winner.





Weight watchers can count 5 points for each cookie.

It is very important that you use Gluten Free Rolled Oats. Other oats are processed on the same machinery as gluten grains. This could cause a Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity individual to react. Also, some Gluten Sensitivity individuals still react adversely to oats, so they need to experiment. Luckily for me, I do okay with gluten free oats.
These cookies have a little bit of crispiness on the outside and are chewy and tender on the inside. Let's get baking!




Oatmeal-Coconut-Raisin Cookies, Gluten Free:
Preheat oven to 350              Makes about 32 cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter (or non-dairy type for vegan and dairy free)
1/2 cup Spectrum Shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg or egg replacer equal to one egg.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup white rice flour (brown rice flour is ok)
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
3 cups gluten free rolled oats
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes (most are gluten free) check labels or google the brand.
3/4 cup raisins

In a large mixing bowl cream butter (or Earth Balance) and shortening with sugars.
Add egg (or Egg Replacer) and vanilla, mix well.
Add all dry ingredients, mix.
Add coconut and raisins, mix.
Dough will be dry, but make sure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
I used a medium size scoop to make these cookies.
Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. I always use parchment paper with gluten free cookies.
Gently flatten before baking.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, checking after 10 minutes. Cookies will start to lightly brown.
Let sit for a couple minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Eat one while they are warm for sure!! Then try one later to get the chewy affect.  Great frozen too.
They also make terrific ice cream, sandwiches. Or any frozen dairy free product of your choice.
Have fun mixing it up with chocolate chips or dried cranberries, maybe nuts? They all sound good to me!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment