Monday, April 28, 2014

Quick Energizer When Working Out





















Fitness is a huge part of my life. I try not to miss a day of exercise, it really makes a difference in my day. Of course there are some days when it just isn't possible, but I usually find a way to fit it in.

When my daughter was training for a half marathon last year she ate dried dates in the middle of her runs for a quick, easily digested pick-me-up. This was news to me, as I had never heard this before. I had heard oranges were good though. So, since I like both dried dates and oranges (but oranges are hard to peel) I decided the little "cuties" (mandarin) would be even better.

So here is my tip....during a longer workout, or after an hour of working out eat one dried date and a cutie. I do this faithfully and have noticed a difference in how I feel.  Easy to pack with a snack for a hike too.

Weight watcher points for one dried date has 1 point and the cutie is 0. Not bad for the trade off of extra energy. And it's a healthy choice.

Dried dates are easy to find in many stores that sell bulk food. I store them in a cool dry place in a sealed container. I've also been known to keep them in the fridge, they are good cold too.





















Another workout snack I like, and actually eat right before just about every single cardio, is one or two energy bites. Or dough balls, my daughter use to call them. I have several different kinds in the snack sections of my recipes. My energy bites are all gluten free, dairy free and egg free.  My favorite one has cacao nibs.




An apple hits the spot after a workout, a nice big one cut in slices and sprinkled with cinnamon and some peanut butter to dip in. Cinnamon is thought to have some blood sugar benefits, I personally love the combination with my apple.


We all have our favorite energy snacks.  Please remember it is important to keep our body fueled so we can get a good workout and have a healthy body.









No comments:

Post a Comment