Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Recycled Salad And Spinach Containers For Fresher Lettuce







Yes, it's true. I eat a lot of salads, I think they are a very important part of a healthy diet. Lots of fresh greens. But, it seemed like no matter what I tried the lettuce and spinach would start to go bad (get slimy) much too soon.

We know we can make prepared salads in jars and have them ready to grab each day of our work week...but how do we keep the lettuce and spinach fresh before it actually goes into the salad?

Well, I discovered one way when I ran out of my recycled freezer bags.  In the past that was my method of storing clean and dried lettuce and spinach. It worked pretty well. But not as well as this....










Save the plastic spinach containers after using the greens. Line the bottom with a paper towel. I buy the cheapest paper towel I can find. Then add a layer of lettuce. Any type. Or a layer of spinach. Then add another piece of the paper towel, then more lettuce or spinach. Continue these alternating layers until you fill your container, ending with a paper towel on top. I really pack the layers in too.

Stack containers in refrigerator. If you notice some moisture accumulate, just wipe off with the top paper towel and replace with a new one. Also, if you purchase a new container of spinach,  simply lay a paper towel over the top and this will keep your new spinach fresher as well.

I like to buy fresh lettuce and clean it myself. This might seem like a lot of work, but it is a money saver in the long run, and your lettuce will stay nice and crisp using the above method.

A large prepared salad can be stored in these recycled containers as well. After the salad is prepared lay a paper towel on the bottom of the container, add the prepared salad, and cover the top of the salad with another paper towel. Replace plastic lid and this salad will stay fresh for days.

I hope these will be helpful tips for you, AND helps you to eat more greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment