Monday, April 2, 2012

Sweet Potatoes Have Never Tasted So Good!



I don't know where I found this recipe, but I am so glad I did. I only know it was in a recipe box I have had for over 20 years.

I was in the mood for something different, and had decided to clean out my old recipe box.  Oddly enough, I found this recipe, so I thought I would give it a try.

My family ate the entire pan....even the cold ones. The recipe called for regular baking potatoes, but since my daughter is a big sweet potato fan,  I made half of them with sweet potatoes. Success!! I have made them with sweet potatoes ever since. These are quick to prepare and the ingredients are common keepers in the cupboard.

Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries
4 unpeeled baking potatoes or 2 large sweet potatoes.
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl grated Parmesan Cheese (vegans use a non-dairy parmesan)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (I use 1/2 tsp)

Preheat oven to 450.  I use a convection oven and set the temp at 425.

Put all seasonings in a gallon size freezer bag.
Mix well and set aside.

Cut potatoes in half and then diagonally in wedges or in strips.
Put cut potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, stir well with a couple spoons....toss a lot.

Transfer potatoes to freezer bag and shake and roll them around to coat with seasonings.
Place on a large baking sheet sprayed with Pam. Spread evenly, if needed use two pans.
Bake for 20 min.

Turn potatoes over and bake for another 15 min. or longer for crisper potatoes. I like them crisp.

These are so good we eat them straight from the pan....hardly get them on a plate. They are fantastic dipped in ketchup and probably a ranch type dressing. I use ketchup since I am allergic to dairy.

For weight watcher points, the amount of the potatoes used would need to be divided between the number of servings. For example I would consider this a 4 serving recipe and each 1/4 would be 3.25 points.

The finished product should be tender on the inside and as crispy as you like on the outside. (Longer for a crisper potato). Serve with any meal or just by themselves. You'll be lucky if they even make it to your plate!! We decided to have them with Tilapia and a side salad.  If you use Heinz Reduced Sugar ketchup, 0 points per serving for weight watchers.




Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment