Friday, April 27, 2012

Tasty Quinoa Muffins -Gluten Free











I'm really excited about these muffins because I have never been a huge fan of quinoa. I know it is a wonderful grain, and I have tried it in cereals and pilafs, but just hadn't acquired a taste for it.  I have been thinking pancakes and waffles lately using quinoa flour, and then this morning muffins popped in my head. Being a huge fan of muffins, I thought maybe this would be the trick.

Success!!   I ate two with my breakfast... I love them, and I am so excited to share them with you!

Weight watcher points are two for each muffin. If you add raisins or dried cranberries it only increases by 3 points. That doesn't even count... right?





















Tasty Quinoa Muffins-Gluten Free             Makes 11 small muffins
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup quinoa Flakes
2 Tbsp honey (could substitute pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs (or egg replacer)
1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 400.    
Prepare muffin tins with cooking spray.

In a medium mixing bowl add:  flour and flakes, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix.
In a small mixing bowl add:  mashed bananas, applesauce, honey and eggs. Mix well.
Combine banana mixture with dry mixture. Stir with spoon or large fork. Add raisins or dried cranberries if that option sounds good. (I like raisins in my muffins)
Spoon into muffin tins 1/2 full.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. Check after 18 minutes.
Remove from tins and let cool on wire rack.




















Enjoy!

I am sure glad I didn't give up on Quinoa, I hope you give it a try too!



No comments:

Post a Comment