Tuesday, April 24, 2012

These Potatoes Are So Yummy You Don't Even Need To Put Butter On The Table




Okay, so they aren't the most attractive potato dish, but they are ridiculously good. I got this recipe from the blog, A Veggie Venture. I'm not really sure why mine turned out a different color than hers, but it could be that I chose to leave  more chunks of carrots as I mashed them.  The first time I made them I used an electric hand mixer. They were great! Smooth, no chunks. The second time I made them, I decided to leave them a bit more chunky, so I used a (non-electric) hand potato masher.  I like seeing the pieces of carrots and the potato skins in the dish.





This recipe is so easy too. Wash your carrots and potatoes. Organic is best when leaving the skins on since these are root vegetables.



 Cut them up in medium size pieces. Cook in salted water!





 Drain reserving some liquid. Mash. Eat…basically.




One of the best parts of this dish is that no additional butter is needed at the table. There is so much flavor from the carrots and the small amount of butter used in preparing them, that they are satisfying just as they are.  And that makes it an even healthier dish.

If you are counting weight watcher points, you can figure 3  points per serving.

Here is the recipe, with just a few minor changes.

Mashed Potatoes & Carrots     Makes 6 half-cup servings
                                               
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and skins on. (yellow potatoes are fine too)
1 pound carrots, scrubbed. I left skins on, mine are organic.
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter, or dairy free substitute.

After scrubbing the potatoes and carrots, cut potatoes into medium size pieces.
Place in a kettle.  Add enough water to just cover the vegetables and add salt.
Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Vegetables should be very tender.
Drain vegetables reserving at least 1 cup of the hot water.
Return potatoes and carrots to  hot pan, add butter and shake in some salt and pepper.
Start mashing , by hand or with an electric hand mixer. Add reserved water as needed or to your preference.
Add enough salt and pepper to desired taste.
Serve with or without the dollop of butter or dairy free substitute.




 Reheated leftovers are just as delicious. I even eat them warmed up for breakfast. I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.




No comments:

Post a Comment