Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gluten Free Banana, Zucchini Muffins- Quite Possibly The Perfect Blend...





















I guess I am kind of on a zucchini run lately, maybe it's because my husband planted the garden and I am already thinking about what I'm going to do with all that great produce. Whatever the reason I am so excited about these new muffins. I have eaten them every morning since I made them and still want more.

I made these focusing on gluten free, but substituting regular all-purpose flour will work perfectly for the non gluten free as well.
I also substituted 2 of the 3 eggs with chia seeds to reduce some of the fat, but eggs are fine if you prefer.
To use chia seeds as an egg substitute, mix 1 tsp. chia seeds with 2 Tbsp. water and let sit about 5 minutes, this equals 1 egg. This is also a great egg substitute for Vegans or those with egg allergies. An egg replacer can also be purchased and used in all my recipes.

Weight watchers can add 6 points per muffin. If you prefer using 3 eggs, that's fine, it won't change the point value per muffin.

In half of the muffins I added chopped apples just to see how that would taste...Loved it! Next time I will add it to the entire batch. But I wanted to leave that option up to you. Raisins would be yummy too.

Gluten Free Banana, Zucchini Muffins
Preheat oven to 350             Recipe makes 2 loaves or 24 muffins
Prepare loaf pans with nonstick spray and line the bottom with wax paper.
Prepare muffin tins with nonstick spray.

1 cup grated zucchini  (I chop it up a little too, so it's pretty fine)
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 eggs (or egg substitutes)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups gluten free flour mix, homemade, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix.  I used Bob's Red Mill in this recipe.
2 1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 chopped apple, optional ( I highly recommend )

In a small bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, Xanthan Gum, cinnamon, and nuts. Mix well.
In a large bowl combine zucchini, bananas, brown sugar, oil, eggs or egg substitute, and vanilla. Mix well.
Stir flour mixture into moist mixture.
Fold in apples (optional)

Pour evenly into loaf pans, or fill 24 muffins tins evenly.
Bake loaves for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
Bake muffins 25-30 minutes.
Let loaves sit 5 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan, then cool completely before storing.
I let muffins sit for a minute or so before I remove them from the tins, as I have found they hold their shape better, but this is optional. Let completely cool on wire racks before storing.
This recipe freezes wonderfully as well.

Dig in, it's almost like having dessert!








No comments:

Post a Comment