Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Mighty Muffins - gluten free with a plant-based option


Blueberry Mighty Muffins




















You might have heard of these muffins, they are on the package of Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. I wonder why he didn't call them Mighty Tasty Muffins? On the package they are called Mighty Muffins. Well, whatever the name, they are a muffin I recommend. I decided to leave out the cranberries, and went with raisins and walnuts in one batch and blueberries in another.


Nut & Raisin Mighty Muffins

These muffins are gluten free and a great vegan muffin if a substitute for milk is used. I used coconut milk. This recipe has no eggs. The first time I made these muffins I was disappointed. They have a pale color which made me immediately check my ingredient list to see what I forgot. And the texture was different than I was use to.  Luckily I didn't feed them to the goats and I left a couple out and froze the rest.  The next day I decided to try one for a snack at work and took one to a friend. Surprise! They enhanced overnight. My friend wanted the recipe and commented that it stayed with her longer than most snacks. I also really liked the dense texture and nutty flavor, and I make them often...blueberry is our favorite.

Weight watcher points are, 5 for the blueberry and 6 for the nut & raisin.

These are perfect for refueling on a hike or long bike ride.

And if you haven't tried a warm bowl of  Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal, I strongly suggest you do. It is delicious and satisfies a hungry tummy.

    
















Mighty Muffins                         Makes 12 muffins
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups milk (soy, rice, almond, coconut)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. oil
1 cup white rice flour (I use brown or white)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2/3 cup Gluten Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup cranberries (I used 1 cup blueberries or 1/2 raisins)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I used 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350                    Prepare muffin tin with non-stick spray.

Mix together sugar, oil, vanilla, applesauce and milk.In a separate bowl, combine flours, cereal, baking powder and xanthan gum. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir together. When batter is almost blended, add cranberries ( blueberries or raisins) and walnuts. Stir ingredients until just blended, careful not to over mix. Fill muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes.

Let sit a couple minutes and remove from tins. Let cool on wire racks.
And remember....they are even better the next day!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment