Saturday, December 10, 2016

"Mrs. Rogers" Famous Popcorn Cake



Here is a sweet & salty treat that is festive and fun to eat!



This is kind of crazy...but you slice it up just like a cake. 







If you were one of my mom's students in the 25 years she taught elementary school, you have probably had a slice of this famous cake. In fact, some of her past students who are now parents, have contacted me for this recipe.

This cake is loads of fun, and will make you smile because it is just so silly. Well, okay....it's really good too, and kids love it. No forks or spoons needed, just hands.

Chewy gumdrops, salty peanuts, and melted marshmallows all mixed up with popcorn.





















Then pressed into a cake pan.





This is a fun treat for kids or adults when you are in the mood for something a little different.

My mom always sliced her popcorn cake after molding it in an angel food cake pan, but there are lots of things you could use this recipe for. Of course you could make balls and wrap them in plastic wrap with a colorful ribbon.



You could press some in muffin tins....
Then set on them on a plate for people to grab and snack on.  Great finger food for parties.




You could also press some in mini loaf pans for holiday gifts.

Today I am going to share with you the way my mom liked to serve it, pressed into an angel food pan and sliced.























"Mrs. Rogers" Famous Popcorn Cake       
1 pkg gumdrops (not spice flavor) I had trouble finding these so I bought large ones and cut them.
57 large marshmallows
1 can of salted peanuts
1 cube butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
24 cups popped popcorn (about 1 1/2 cups kernels)

Grease angel food cake pan.
Pop kernels, making sure to take out ones that did not pop.
I use a large kettle to mix the cake. Put gumdrops, peanuts and popcorn in a huge mixing bowl or large kettle.
Melt butter and marshmallows with oil in a saucepan on medium to low heat.  Stir often and be careful not to burn mixture.
Pour over popcorn mixture and mix well, making sure to get all the goodies on the bottom.
Press firmly in prepared cake pan.
Let sit for an hour or so. You want to make sure it takes the form. I let mine sit for at least 2 hours.
Go around edge of cake with a knife to free up edges. Turn over onto a large plate and slice.
Cut into slices with a bread knife or a type of serrated knife. You may need to clean knife a couple times during slicing, as it can get sticky.



As you can see it's a nice tall cake.


Every slice is full of fun treats and color.



Have fun making and eating this bright and cheery cake!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! Love the sound of this. My daughter would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui - it's as much fun to make as it is to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made a Popcorn cake before but I'm sure my grandkids would love this.....and so would I:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I haven't met a kiddo who hasn't loved eating this cake!! I hope you all enjoy it together sometime!!

      Delete
  4. My mother in law used to get this exact cake as a gift from one of her Avon customers every year, in Grand Jct, CO. WOW, looks exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle...so much fun hearing that. My mom loves this cake and still always want to make it every year during the holidays.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete