Monday, May 7, 2012

Everybody's Favorite Fajitas - Gluten Free

Steak Fajitas

Chicken Fajitas



































I've tried a lot of fajita recipes and nothing compares to this. I discovered this amazing package mix when I was browsing one day in the local health food store. I have been hooked ever since. In fact, there is only one restaurant that I will order a fajita from because nothing compares to this flavor.

 I've tried this mix with pork loins, sirloin steak and chicken breast and all are wonderful.



















I like to toss some colorful peppers and onions in the pan after the meat has cooked,  it picks up the flavor and no need to dirty another pan.  Serve with some yummy guacamole and you won't believe how delicious this is!!   Rice and beans on the side, some salsa.....are you getting hungry?

First you will need this package mix, most likely sold at a health food store. This is the magic ingredient. And it should be okay for those on a yeast free diet too.


Simply Organic 




Then decide what kind of meat you want to use for your fajitas. I show  steak and chicken in this post.
Slice meat into 1" strips,  about 1/3" thick, trimming any fat off please.

Following the directions on the package mix, you will put the sliced meat in a freezer type bag with 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. I prefer to use 1 Tbsp. oil  instead of 2.
Then in a small glass measuring cup add fajita mix with 1/4 cup warm water and whisk.

Pour this mixture right in the bag with the meat. Zip it closed and start mixing it around really well. (make sure it is closed tight)
Put meat in a large heated skillet and cook thoroughly. You can then add some sliced onion and peppers right in with the meat and saute 3-5 minutes.

I prefer to take the meat out and cook the onions and peppers without the meat.
I do this for two reasons. First it just seems to cook the vegetables more evenly, and second it allows people to choose what they want on their fajitas. We have some family members who don't like the onions and peppers. So they have the meat with cheese and lettuce. I know...that's more like a taco, but everybody's happy that way.
I suggest having some add-on items for your fajitas, like guacamole, salsa, sour cream and cilantro.

So....how do you like your fajitas?
 I know you will enjoy the leftovers too!

If you are counting weight watcher points…read on.  If you use 1 Tbsp. oil per pound of meat like I did in the preparation,  add 1 extra point for every 4 ounces of meat. (if you have 4 oz of prepared meat, add 1 extra point, 5 points total)
So you could have 2 fajitas: on a corn tortilla (corn tortillas have 1.5 points each) add 2 oz meat, some peppers, onions, salsa, maybe some guacamole (2 Tbsp. on each fajita) and the total would be10 points total for 2 satisfying fajitas. Or maybe have one fajita (5 points) and add some rice and beans on the side.
Add a salad, end with some fresh fruit....what a meal!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment