Monday, May 21, 2012

Shrimp and Tofu Stir Fry Over Rice Noodles & Fried Rice - Gluten Free





















This meal is so tasty it's like eating out at a Chinese Restaurant, but without the MSG and the high fat content in the Pork Fried Rice.  The leftovers are fantastic too, I've even eaten it cold....yes, it's that good. The preparation of the vegetables is the most time consuming part of this meal, but you can do that anytime even the day before.




I often precook the rice and have a supply in the freezer ready to go. I find rice is a handy item to keep on hand in the freezer for many reasons. I have a large rice cooker that I set on my deck to cook the rice, this saves me counter space while I am working on other things.  Then I freeze the rice in portions and can easily defrost it for recipes or meals. For soups the frozen rice can be added right to the soup, no defrosting necessary.  Ok...back to the stir fry!

Here is my magic tip on using tofu in recipes if you don't like the soft, squishy texture.... and I don't. After purchasing the tofu drain the liquid and place tofu in a freezer container, and freeze for later use. When you are ready to use the tofu, defrost it (microwave is fine) and drain off any liquid, and the tofu is ready to slice, dice or crumble. By freezing the tofu you get a chewy texture more like meat, rather than the super soft creamy texture. It's really a preference thing. It works well in meatless chili and soups as well. I always by the firm or extra firm tofu...another preference thing.

This meal is great for those of you on a Yeast Free diet as well.
The shrimp and tofu can be substituted with pork, ground turkey or chicken.
And Vegans or Vegetarians can omit the meat and add just the tofu.

Shrimp and Tofu Stir Fry & Fried Rice -Gluten Free
Chop up a large bowl of fresh vegetables, any that you like:
-broccoli
-cauliflower
-onions
-kale
-bok choy
-carrots
-celery
-zucchini
I do all these in my stir fry. Set vegetables aside.

Cut up tofu and any meat you are choosing. If you are using shrimp like I did in this meal, make sure it is clean and rinsed. Set shrimp, meat and/or tofu aside. Sometimes I add some of the tofu or meat to the fried rice, so do a little extra if this sounds good to you as well. Another option is adding some scrambled eggs cut up in small pieces to the rice. Lots of options.

I suggest cooking the fried rice first. And set aside, keep warm if possible. In a covered casserole dish in the oven on the lowest temperature for example.

Here we go…starting with the fried rice.
Note: If you are going to add meat to the fried rice it will need to be precooked.

Fried Rice
Olive oil
3 bunches green onions, chopped
3-4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups chopped bok choy
4-5 cups or desired amount -precooked rice
gluten free soy sauce or liquid aminos
optional precooked meat or tofu and scrambled eggs for non vegans.

In a large electric skillet heat 2-3 Tbsp. oil. Saute onions, mushrooms and bok choy. Toss in soy sauce or liquid aminos as desired, again I start with about 1/4 cup. Add meat. Add precooked rice, mix and cook  until everything is nice and hot. Toss in precooked scrambled eggs if desired. Set aside in serving dish or casserole dish to keep warm.




Now for the rest of the meal…

In the same large skillet that you used for the fried rice, heat 1-2 Tbsp. oil.  Add shrimp and tofu, saute until shrimp is fully cooked. Remove from skillet.


















In same skillet, add another couple Tbsp. oil and 1-2 Tbsp. minced garlic and saute about 30 seconds. Add vegetables and  gluten free soy sauce or Braggs liquid aminos.  I add about 1/4 cup at first, and then toss in more as I watch and taste for the right flavor. There is no perfect amount.  Watch out though, it's easy to over do on the soy sauce, it's better to let people add more to their plate then over doing it in the skillet. Some people like to add a little broth to their stir-fry as well, or in place of some of the soy sauce.

































Cook until vegetables are about half way done and add shrimp and tofu (or other meat) back in. Continue to cook until vegetables are at desired doneness. I like mine with a little crunch, not cooked to a soft stage.

My advise is to taste while you are cooking until you find the point of doneness you desire. Turn off heat and it's ready to serve. (I have the noodles boiling on the side while I am finishing up the stir fry).

Serve over rice noodles, or if you aren't gluten free Ramen Noodles. It's also yummy served over the fried rice, or have your fried rice on the side.




I hope you give this a try, I think you will really enjoy it. It's healthy and full of flavor.


Enjoy!






















2 comments:

  1. I would like to cook an extraordinary food for my family. And I think this recipe is the suited dish for them. I will definitely make this.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - I hope your family will love this dish as much as my family does!
    Have a wonderful meal!!

    ReplyDelete