Sunday, February 12, 2017

This Is Not My Mother's Beef Stew...




















I was never a huge fan of Sunday stew, I have to admit. But now that I am older and wiser, I find myself enjoying a nice hearty bowl of meat and vegetables a few times a year. It wasn't my mom's fault her stew made me sick, it was the package mix that had gluten in it.  I've tried to find a really good stew recipe over the years without using a purchased seasoning package, and they have all been pretty much blah.

Until I found this one....





 I'm not even sure how I came across this recipe. I doubt I was actually looking for a stew recipe, especially since it's spring now. But somehow I ended up with it. I made a few changes to suit my gluten free diet and my taste. I loved it....I ate two bowls.  My husband loved it too. It's so nice to be able to make one meal we both can eat and enjoy!

This is gluten free and ok for those of you on the yeast free diet as long as you leave out the mushrooms.
Weight watcher followers can give each 1 cup serving 7 points.

Here is the recipe I came up with, using a large slow cooker instead of a dutch oven as the original recipe suggested.

 Recipe should make about 8 cups.

 Not My Mother's Beef Stew
1 lb round steak cut in about 1" cubes or to your preference.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
2 or 3 potatoes, cut to your preference.
6 carrots, sliced
10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 tsp. rosemary
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 tbsp. minced garlic
10 oz green beans
1 - 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes
3 cubes Herb Ox Bouillon (this brand is gluten free and has no MSG)
2-3 cups water
1 tbsp. tapioca flour (use regular flour if gluten free isn't necessary)
2 tbsp. cold water

Brown meat in hot oil for 3-5 minutes.
Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add all ingredients except the flour and cold water. Stir.
Combine flour and cold water in a container and mix well. Add to stew. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, or on high for 7-8 hours.








Serve up and enjoy.









 I suggest serving this stew with some of my incredibly flaky biscuits.





Mmmm…warm, tender biscuits.




Or for the gluten free an amazing roll that taste like fresh baked bread, The Best Gluten Free Sandwich Rolls.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment