Friday, May 18, 2012

Toasted Oats & Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gluten Free




These are interesting because you toast the oats before you mix them in the cookies. Wow, what an idea! I wonder if it is to replace the crunch from not adding nuts? Whatever the reason, it is genius. Now I am thinking....what else can I toast! I actually have an idea, I hope to share soon.
I am pretty sure I got these from the Shape magazine, though I have made lots of changes, I liked the idea to toast the oats before adding them to the cookie dough. The original recipe was not gluten free and used dark brown sugar.

My version will be gluten free, but feel free to change the flour to all-purpose, if you don't need a gluten free cookie.

These cookies are great for those counting weight watcher points, because there are only 3 points for 2 cookies!! You could also make a little larger cookie for 3 points each.

Toasted Oats & Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gluten Free        Makes 120 cookies or 60 larger cookies.
Preheat oven to 350
1 1/2 cup rolled oats - gluten free
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup extra-light olive oil
6 tbsp. butter or Earth Balance, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs (I used duck eggs) egg replacer is optional as well.
2 egg whites
3 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips - Enjoy Life brand if necessary

Toast oats in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together oil, butter or Earth Balance and sugars.
Add eggs, egg white and vanilla, mix well.
Fold in toasted oats, flour mixture and chocolate chips.

Place rounded teaspoonfuls of dough on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10-11 minutes. Let sit about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks.

Tip: I find the cookies bake nice and evenly if the baking sheet is rotated half way  through the baking time.
I even do this when I use my convection setting.

These cookies are delicious and my husband said he wouldn't have known they were gluten free. Remember they can be made with all-purpose flour as well. They are awesome frozen too and make perfect little ice cream sandwich cookies.




















Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment