Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Aunt Polly's "U-NO" Pie
















Remember the U-NO candy bar? It was my sister's favorite, and this pie was too. I haven't heard that name for years...the candy bar or the pie.

 I felt like making something from my forgotten recipe box for tonight's dinner. My parents are coming over for some Ravioli, let's see if they recognize this pie when I serve dessert!





My Aunt Polly was a really fun lady. She let my sister and I pick rocks out of her garden for pennies, and then we would go to the local market and by a bag full of penny candy. She also had a special cabinet in her house that had a "candy" drawer. We got to pick out a candy bar from that drawer whenever we came to visit Aunt Polly. Funny how she always had our favorites in the drawer! Luckily for us, my aunt and uncle's house was a short bike ride or walk away. We loved climbing on their trees, sitting on the porch swing, and watching, game shows on TV. Those were great times.

 She also made this fantastic U-NO Pie. It is quick and easy, especially if you purchase a pre-made pie crust, and so delicious. The chocolate flavor is perfect, not too rich. It is light and creamy and doesn't leave your tummy with a heavy feeling. I also like the fact that it has a pastry crust instead of a graham cracker crust for a change, though it would be delicious either way. A chocolate cookie crust would even be a nice variation. But let's take a look at the original recipe....






















Aunt Polly's U-NO Pie         Serves 8
1 frozen 9" pre-made pie crust or make your own.
1 1/2 cubes Nucoa Margarine  (she says it must be this)   : )
3/4 cup plus 6 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate melted, or (2 Tbsp. shortening melted, then mixed with 6 Tbsp. cocoa)

Bake pie shell according to package if purchased, or make a single pie crust. Let cool completely.

In a large mixing bowl cream margarine and sugar. Add vanilla and chocolate or cocoa mixture. Mix well.
Add 1 egg at a time beating 5 minutes after each.
Pour into cooled pie crust.  Chill for several hours.

Top with shaved chocolate and whipped topping if desired. My husband likes to add chopped nuts on his piece as well.





Note:
This can easily be made gluten free by using a gluten free flour for the pastry crust or a gluten free graham cracker crust.

If you count weight watcher points, you can add 9 points for each serving if a pre-made pastry shell was used, and 11 points if you make it from scratch. It's worth every point, trust me!!













2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Your recipes look really wonderful, thanks for sharing! I have tried almond flour with vanilla, oil or butter, a little salt, and agave for a pre-baked and it's super yummy (found in Elana Amsterdam's GF almond flour cooking book)! Although quite crumbly. I don't know if xanthan gum may help there? Thought I would share a yummy idea ;) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thanks for the great idea! I would for sure add some xanthan gum and experiment a little. I've seen recipes with and without the xanthan gum. Take care!

    ReplyDelete