Saturday, July 28, 2012

Gluten Free Natural Snack Bars


I've been looking for a snack bar/energy bar that isn't full of sugar. I stumbled across this recipe that I had copied on a sticky note and decided to give it a try. I was impressed by the high protein and fiber content and found that as the day went on I liked the flavor more and more. I am moderately sensitive to peanuts so my next batch is going to be made with sunflower butter and sunflower seeds. I will let you know how that turns out.

Weight watchers can divide the pan into 18 servings and count each bar at 4 points, or divide the pan into 12 servings and count each bar at 6 points.

For me a snack bar has to provide me with a blood sugar lift and sustain me during high energy activities. These do just that.

These bars have 8.4 grams of protein if cut in the 12 serving size, and 5.6 grams if cut in the 18 serving size.  If you are interested in fiber, they have 4.5 grams of fiber if cut in the 12 serving size and 3 grams if cut in the 18 serving size.

Another option with these bars is to add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips,  I like, Enjoy Life gluten and dairy free. Or add some raisins or dried cranberries about 1/2 cup. The points for weight watcher points plus with change slightly with these additions, if you add either chocolate chips or raisins add 1/2 point for each serving. Not too bad huh? Oh, and same goes for dried cranberries, 1/2 point increase for each bar.

Are you ready to try some?







Gluten Free Natural Snack Bars         Serves 12-18
Spray a 9"x13" cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
4 cups old fashioned oats (gluten free if needed)
1 cup honey
3/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butters) I used a natural peanut butter.
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (or other nuts)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cranberries. (optional)

In a heavy duty mixer (not a hand mixer) combine all ingredients.
Press into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, edges will be slightly brown.
Cool 10 minutes before cutting.  Store in a cool dry place for up to 1 month. Or you could store them in the freezer.

I hope you find these a healthy, satisfying snack.

















Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment