Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Navy Bean & Vegetable Soup - GF



This is a great soup for a hungry appetite. The most time consuming part is chopping the vegetables.



I could have used a variety of kitchen accessories....not really sure why I didn't.  Sometimes I just feel like chopping the old fashioned way I guess.

I always sauté my chopped vegetables in a little broth with the spices before adding them to the soup. It really gives the soup a nice flavor.  No oil needed, I always sauté in broth.

Weight watcher followers can add 5 points per serving.

Navy Bean & Vegetable Soup - GF                   Serves 8
1 lb (2 cups) navy beans
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 cups chopped or sliced carrots
2 cups chopped celery
2 rounded tsp minced garlic
2-3 bay leaf (I used 3, I love bay leaf)
2 tsp salt
1/4  tsp black pepper
7-8 cups vegetable broth

Wash and pick over beans, place in a saucepan, and cover with water to soak overnight. The next morning, drain and place beans in a large kettle. Add 6 cups of broth.

In a large frying pan add chopped vegetables and one of the remaining cups of broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and add seasonings. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then add to beans. Add remaining cup of broth as needed throughout the cooking or to desired consistency of soup.  Simmer soup for 1 1/2 -2 hours or until beans are tender.  Mash or puree part of the soup if a thicker soup is desired. I find the soup will thicken on its own, especially the leftovers the next day.

This soup can also be prepared in a slow cooker.  Set on low 10-12 hours, or on high for 7-8 hours.  Add vegetables and spices and soaked beans all at once, precooking vegetables is not necessary if time does not allow.

*Note: Feel free to use more vegetables, it's a personal preference. If more are used you may need to sauté them half at a time.  The more the better in my opinion. I usually add an extra cup of carrots and celery to mine.

Enjoy a healthy bowl of delicious soup!







No comments:

Post a Comment