Saturday, March 2, 2013

Easy Cheesy One Dish Scalloped Potatoes





I have to be honest, our microwave is mostly used to defrost and reheat....except for this tasty dish. My son is a huge fan of scalloped potatoes and I made this recipe all the time when he was growing up. 

I like to slice my potatoes pretty thin as shown.  It guarantees they will always be cooked all the way through.  

This recipe is prepared in one dish. I like to use an oversized dish to prevent spilling over while it is cooking.  I actually place my casserole dish inside another microwave safe dish to catch any spills...just incase. Easier clean up. Also if any bubbles over in the bottom dish, I can just pour it back in.


Easy Cheesy One Dish Scalloped Potatoes           About 5-6 servings
4 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 Tbsp dried minced onions are an option too)
1 rounded Tbsp flour (gluten free is optional, I used brown rice flour for mine)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk (dairy free is optional)
1 Tbsp butter (dairy free is optional)
1 1/2 - 2 cups grated cheddar cheese(Daiya for dairy free)
Place sliced potatoes and onions in large casserole or pyrex dish. Add flour, salt and milk in that order and top with butter.


Cover and microwave for 10 minutes.
Remove from microwave and stir. Cover and return to microwave for another 10 minutes.
Add part of the grated cheese and stir into potatoes.  Top with the rest of the cheese and cover.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Serve!

These are so good that I don't even use any form of cheese on mine, I just eat them plain.

Those who count weight watcher points have several options here. Use recipe above and divide into 5 servings, this is 10 points. Recipe divided into 6 serving would be 8.4 points.

Using a low-fat cheese would reduce points to 7.3 points if divided into 5 servings, and 6 points if divided into 6 servings.

Eat them like I do, without cheese, and you can further reduce points to 4.4 points if divided into 6 servings, and 5 points if divided into 5 servings.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Your welcome Joy, I hope you like this recipe. It's a family favorite!
    I also love cooking, eating, and feeding other people!! Baking is my favorite though. Enjoy! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read, enjoy and learn from your blog. Thanks! Keep on posting.

    Say
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leslie. I sure do appreciate that, and I certainly will keep posting. Wish I could post every day…as it is sometimes I'm lucky to post every week. One thing is for sure - I will never run out of things to post…you should see my stacks of recipes. Lol Take care! Mary

      Delete