Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pesto - with less fat


I'm not at all familiar with pesto, but have been wanting to try it for some time. The pesto is gluten free. I mixed and matched ingredients that were basic in pesto and cut the fat in half. Honestly, I just couldn't put the whole amount in. I was surprised how fast and easy it was. I'm still a work in progress and am hoping to lower  the fat even more, but until then...this was delicious!  

My husband made the comment that this dish should be on a weekly rotation.  We liked the toasted pine nuts so well we sprinkled a few on top too.

Pesto - with less fat
2/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp minced garlic, I used 2 
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 bunches of fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste 

Toast the pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat and toss while cooking. Should get a nice toasted color, 3-5 minutes. Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until nice and smooth. Shake in some salt and pepper. 

Serve over pasta. I had mine over my gluten free pasta with some sprinkles of soy parmesan. Yummy!
I also dipped a couple of my favorite crackers in the pesto, Trader Joe's Baked Lentil Chips, Sea salt & Black Pepper flavor, and that was tasty too. 

Hope you enjoy the pesto!












Toast pine nuts for about 5 minutes on med/high or until they get a nice toasted color.



Process all ingredients at once in a food processor until smooth.


















Serve in a bowl for everyone to dish up.











No comments:

Post a Comment