Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Edible Flowers Grow On Kale Plants


I guess I shouldn't be surprised these pretty little flowers are edible on my kale plants,  I just didn't consider the option. I was cutting off some leaves for my morning drink and our daily salads when I noticed all the plants were suddenly exploding with little buds and yellow flowers.  I mentioned it to my husband who then informed me he had heard they were edible.  So right then I cut some and returned to the kitchen.

I was already planning to make a vegetable stir-fry mixed with brown rice, so those little buds and flowers went right in too.  The flavor is very mild, and the color is very pretty.

Here is a picture of my stir-fry with the buds and flowers added.


I like to sauté fresh, finely chopped vegetables with some garlic, ginger, and vegetable broth. I then mix  in some cooked brown rice.  I use this rice and vegetable mixture all week in my pureed soup, mixed green salads, or serve as a side dish.  Sprinkle on some Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce (gluten free if needed) for an Oriental flavor.


























Here I made a hearty salad with mixed greens, some of my rice and vegetable dish, garbanzo beans, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and crushed gluten free baked crackers as a healthy crouton. I like this salad combination with a light Italian dressing.

So now there is another reason to grow kale this summer in your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment