Friday, May 31, 2013

My Favorite Snack Of The Year - Apple Sauce Crunch

Call me crazy, but I eat this every single day after work and on weekends too.  It all started from a misunderstanding with my daughter and I have been hooked ever since!





The story is that my daughter called and told me about the new way she was eating her oatmeal and loving it. She said that Chex Cinnamon flavored cereal crunched on top of hot oatmeal was her new favorite breakfast and that I should try it.  Well, I must have been really tired that day because what I thought she said was to put it on top of apple sauce! I decided she was a genius...it was delicious. Even better was when I added some of my favorite gluten free granola cereals, crunched pecans and raisins too. It's like eating dessert without all the fat. 

The two granolas I like are pretty low in fat. Kind Healthy Grain Clusters has some tasty varieties ranging in 3-3.5 grams of fat per serving and Enjoy Life Cinnamon Raisin Crunch has 1 gram per serving. Cinnamon Chex Cereal has 2grams per serving.  

Apple Sauce Crunch
Simply put about 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce in a small dish. Shake some cinnamon over the apple sauce. Sprinkle a handful of each granola over that, add about 4-5 crunched pecans (or other nuts), crunch a couple handfuls of the cinnamon chex over the granola and nuts, then sprinkle a couple tablespoons or more of raisins on top. 
When in season sub fresh blueberries for the raisins!





Dig in!!!! You'll be surprised how yummy it is and it gives me a nice jolt of energy for a workout or holds me over until dinner.

Sometimes the simplest ideas turn out to be the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment