Sunday, January 15, 2017

Fat Free Hummus

I'm never buying hummus again! And I'm eating it without any added fat.
I would much rather save my fat for dessert anyway!





This took just a few minutes to make. It's great with crackers, veggies, and on sandwiches.






My favorite type of cracker to dip into hummus is a baked salt and pepper flavor.  I also use these crackers crunched up on my salad instead of high fat croutons.


For those counting weight watcher points you might like to know these tasty baked crackers only have 3 points for 22 crackers. 

This awesome recipe is from the book, The Engine 2 Diet, written by Rip Esselstyn. Love it! I actually have all his books, every recipe I have tried is yummy.

Fat Free Hummus
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp minced garlic
2-3 Tbsp fresh or bottled lemon juice
1 tsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce (I used gluten free San-J Organic Tamari)
3 Tbsp water or vegetable broth (I use water)

Place all ingredients in a food processor. I just used my small one. Whip it all up and grab something to dip!   Store this hummus in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I make a batch every week so I have a good quality snack all ready.



You can see here all ingredients are added at once in a food processor.



Whip it all up, maybe scrape the edges once or twice.




And it's ready for veggies, crackers, chips or to go on a sandwich.

For weight watcher points, this entire recipe has 11 points. Divide as you like to figure out the points for your serving. I would probably have about 1/4 cup for a serving.

Here are some other variations:
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 jalapeƱo, seeded and chopped
1 roasted, seeded, and chopped red bell pepper
1 cup dark or Kalamata olives
1 bunch fresh mint
1 cup fresh spinach
1 cup cooked eggplant

I love the original recipe so well, I haven't tried any other flavors.....maybe you will!

Enjoy!

2 comments: