Tuesday, July 2, 2013

GF & Dairy Free Energy Bites With Cacao Nibs

Energy bites just got better!








These make a great little snack or pick-me-up during a hike or long workout.


I decided to put a little more crunch in my energy bites, and along with that crunch comes some extra fiber and many other nutritional benefits. Cacao nibs are my new secret ingredient. I've been tossing a few here and there in some of my recipes and really liking the results.






GF & Dairy Free Energy Bites With Cacao Nibs           Recipe makes about 48 balls
2 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats (gluten free)
1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut
1 cup peanut butter or any other nut butter, a nice combination is crunchy peanut butter and sunflower seed butter.
1 cup ground flaxseed
2/3 cup honey or agave syrup, or 1/2 of each is nice
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life brand.

Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Combine nut butter, honey, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl.  Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and combine. Use hands if needed.
Shape into balls using about 1 1/2 Tbsp of mixture per ball. This can get sticky - I find sometimes gloves help in these situations. Refrigerate or freeze to store.

Weight watcher points are 3 for each ball.

*Note  Another option is to substitute half of the oats for quinoa flakes, or even one fourth. 

Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment