Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Applesauce Gluten Free Muffins with Coconut Oil - no sugar added









This recipe may look familiar because it is a version of my original  Applesauce Gluten Free Muffins.
A lot of people show interest in coconut oil and I also use it occasionally myself, so I thought why not see how it blends with these muffins. Sometimes I don't care for the flavor in the final product....this time I loved it!

Applesauce Gluten Free Muffins with Coconut Oil - no sugar added           Makes 12
1 egg or 1 tsp ground chia seeds mixed with 2 Tbsp water (let sit a few minutes to gel)
2 Tbsp coconut oil, heat to liquid state 
1 1/2 cups applesauce (natural, unsweetened)
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup oat flour (gluten free)
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder 
3/4 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
1/4 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 375.  Prepare muffin tin with a nonstick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl add liquid ingredients and mix well. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in raisins. 
Spoon into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20-23 minutes. Let cool a couple minutes and remove from pan onto cooling rack.  I love these muffins. I make a double batch and freeze them. They are wonderful in lunches and as snacks.

Weight watchers count 4 points per muffin, 3 without raisins.






















Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. These were so different than any gluten free muffins I've had before! Don't expect these to taste like traditional muffins... they taste more like a fluffier baked oatmeal and are not sweet like commercial muffins. I mixed in all sorts of things: walnuts, raisins,unsweetened coconut flakes, and used a homemade unsweetened ginger applesauce! I also used flax "egg" in place of the egg or chia seeds. It is a great base recipe for a muffin that is actually good for you! My only recommendation would be that you should definitely jazz them up with spices, nuts, seeds or fruit you like because otherwise they are as bland as... plain oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I really liked your comments, thanks for sharing. I was wondering... you did use oat flour, not just oatmeal, correct? I have never had them turn out like baked oatmeal, so I was super curious. I created these muffins for a yeast free diet which means no sweeteners or dried fruit and only certain nuts. But over the years I have added raisins to mine. Take care and thanks again for your input! : )

    ReplyDelete