Saturday, October 26, 2013

Baked Tofu & Stir-Fry


Baked tofu is surprisingly good! It is also healthy, low-fat, and a great source of protein.

I had used tofu in other recipes many times, but I had never eaten these delicious baked cubes before. My daughter introduced me to them at, Whole Foods Market one day while we were having lunch. I loved them!! I started experimenting with recipes about a month later. 

I made my cubes about 3/4" in size. My husband likes them a little smaller, but I found they are hard to turn while baking if they are too small. So I suggest cutting them after they are cooked, if you want them smaller than the 3/4" cubes.

This is a very mild recipe that will go nicely with any stir-fry dish or on a salad. I also like to make a batch of plain, unseasoned baked tofu squares for salads, tacos, or to toss in pre-made soup or chili.
I got this recipe from thehealthyfoodie.com.  On her blog it's called, Easy Baked Tofu. This is a wonderful blog to visit.

I made a few changes in the recipe to fit my diet.

*Note: Before you cut your tofu into cubes it will need to be removed from the package, drained, and dried off with a paper towel.  Then wrap the tofu square in a clean dish towel. Set a heavy bowl or container on top of the tofu. Not so heavy it crushes it, but adds some weight so the liquid is gently squeezed out. Let tofu sit this way for at least 30 minutes. I try to leave mine for an hour, changing the towel once during that time.

Tofu is wrapped in a clean dish towel and compressed with a heavy container or bowl.


Baked Tofu & Stir-Fry                                                                
1 pkg extra firm tofu, non GMO. Drained and wrapped.
3 tbsp soy sauce, I used gluten free.
2 tbsp honey, agave for vegans.
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp hot sauce 

Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and spray with a nonstick spray. Foil is an option too, but I prefer parchment paper.

Cut tofu into cubes. If you are planning on making some unseasoned tofu, place cubes on lined baking sheet at this time, otherwise set aside while preparing marinade.

 In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients except tofu; mix well.
Pour this marinade mixture into a shallow dish, like a large pie plate. 
Place cut tofu in marinade. Let sit about 10 minutes then turn tofu over to coat the other side.  I like my pieces really flavored, so I try to let each side sit in the marinade for a bit. 
Place tofu pieces on lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. 
Turn tofu over and return to oven. Bake 20 -25 minutes more. 
Sample tofu pieces after 40 minutes and decide if you want a chewier product.  It is a personal preference.  I like mine nice and chewy and to hold their shape well. I bake mine 30 minutes on each side. 
  
*Tofu that is not marinated will usually cook faster.  

While tofu bakes....
Prepare long grain white rice or brown rice and stir-fry vegetables.
Noodles will take 1 minute to cook in boiling water.
I like to use Thai Rice Noodles with a stir-fry. They have a nice added flavor and I like the combination with the rice and the vegetables.  It's a complete and very satisfying meal.

Stir-Fry Vegetables
Wash and cut vegetables in desired sizes. Just about any vegetable is good in a stir-fry. My favorite stir-fry vegetables are: carrots, onions, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, snap peas, sweet peppers,  mushrooms and zucchini. I fill a large electric skillet up with vegetables knowing they will cook down some.  I usually can count on leftovers for the next day too.

Use about 1 tbsp of oil and 3-4 tbsp of gluten free soy sauce to saute the vegetables.  I start with the firmest vegetables like carrots, celery, cauliflower, and bok choy.  Then I add snap peas, onions and broccoli. Lastly I add the sweet peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. Don't over cook your stir-fry, it isn't suppose to be mushy. 
Let people serve up rice and noodles, then top with vegetables and baked tofu. 
Offer more soy sauce at the table.

This entire meal taste like eating out at a restaurant.  I think you will love it!

*You can even add the seasoned tofu in with cooked cubed chicken if you aren't sure about tofu alone.



Here are a few steps:

Cut the tofu in cubes and place on parchment paper, a silicone mat, or foil. Spray with a nonstick spray.

 Plain, unseasoned tofu. 


Tofu is in marinade.


Bake tofu 20 - 30 minutes in a 375 oven, turning once during baking.

Plain tofu.

Marinated Tofu



I  serve both kinds together on a plate.





Bright colored stir-fry vegetables.


Cooked brown rice.



Rice noodles or  Ramen noodles if gluten free isn't needed. 




These are great for gluten free individuals.





Serve it up!    Grab some forks and dig in : )


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. Indeed, this kind of stir fry sauce recipe I'm looking for. Me and my husband really love discovering different recipes, I decided to look on the internet and I found your blog. This is the best recipe I saw today. Keep sharing!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose Mary, I'm glad you stumbled a crossed my blog and found this recipe! It is one of my absolute favorites. I eat every last bite of the leftovers too. I hope you both enjoy it!!

    Take care…Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete