Thursday, October 17, 2013

Corny Corn Bread or Homestyle



Do you not just love corn bread? I remember from my much younger years eating homemade corn bread with honey butter.



This is a really delicious corn bread recipe I've been using for over 20 years.

About a year ago my husband started asking me to add frozen corn to the batter...I didn't like that idea at all.  Of course he  loves it this way, so I let him name the recipe. Here it is...hope you like it too.  Leave out the corn if you like, Homestyle.

Corny Corn Bread      or     Homestyle (without corn)
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour 
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 egg (or egg replacer for vegans) or two whites for less fat option.
1 cup milk (or dairy free product for vegans, I use soy milk often)
1 cup cooked corn (optional, delicious homestyle without corn)

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 9" x 9" square pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well.
Combine oil, egg or egg replacer, and milk or milk replacer in a small bowl. Mix well.
Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and combine gently with a large spoon, stir until blended. 
Fold in corn. If corn is frozen, microwave it for about 2-3 minutes.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until center is done. Test by sticking a butter knife into center of the bread, it should come out clean.

Remove from oven and cut into squares to serve.  Yummy with butter and honey. My husband likes this with his chili and Easy Beefy Bake Casserole.


This recipe makes a nice lofty corn bread, I hope you like it!



Mmmm…delicious homemade corn bread. Homestyle, as I call it, without corn.

Or add some corn for Corny Corn Bread.




















Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment