Monday, October 21, 2013

Healthy Family Style Chicken Pot Pie





Healthy Family Style Chicken Pot Pie                     Serves 6
3-4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves.
2 1/2 cups water
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes.
1/2 cup chopped celery, I chop them into very small pieces.
2 chicken bouillon cubes, Herb Ox is gluten free.
1 10-16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables.
1 peeled and chopped carrot.
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, or gluten free any type is fine.
1 cup skim milk, or non-dairy substitute. I used soy milk.
1 tsp poultry seasoning, any type is fine.
1 1/2-2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms. (yeast free diets replace with another vegetable)
Biscuits
1 cup all-purpose flour, or gluten free baking mix like Pamela's Gluten Free Pancake and Baking Mix.
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, or non-dairy substitute with 1/2 Tbsp vinegar. 

Combine chicken and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.  Remove chicken, reserving the water. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Set chicken aside. Add cut up vegetables and bouillon to the reserved water from the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and set aside.

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a medium to large saucepan at a medium to low heat.  Stir in 2 Tbsp flour, mixing well. Slowly add 1 cup milk or non-dairy type, stirring constantly cooking over medium heat. Mixture will begin to thicken and get bubbly. Remove from heat and add poultry seasoning and all other ingredients, including mushrooms. (Not biscuit ingredients) Gently mix well. Pour into a casserole dish. 

To make biscuits combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it is incorporated well and resembles a coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk or non-dairy type. Spoon biscuit dough onto mixture in casserole dish, making 6 biscuits. End with one in the middle.  If making gluten free biscuits add them the last 35-40 minutes of baking. 

Bake at 350 for 1 hour, biscuits will be a golden brown.  Serve in shallow dishes. 

*Note: This can also be cooked in separate oven safe serving dishes.

If you count weight watcher points, allow 8 points per serving.


A few simple steps:


Cook chicken breasts in water. Reserve water. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.



Cook cut up vegetables15- 20 minutes in reserved water from chicken.  Add frozen vegetables.



Melt butter in a medium size saucepan.



Add flour stirring constantly.



Stir in milk and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Stir in seasoning.



Add chicken and cooked vegetables and mix well. Pour into casserole.



Prepare biscuit dough.



Spoon over casserole making 6 servings, ending with one in the middle.



Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour. Biscuits will be a golden brown. Serve in shallow dishes.




Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    What can I substitute for the bouillon as it has cornstarch in it and for the butter, could I use coconut oil??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made only the biscuits today and they were very thin like cookies and they didn't rise like they should have. They were still good, but what did you think I did wrong??

    I use the Coconut milk/ Apple cider vinegar for the Buttermilk
    and the cream of tarter/ baking soda for the baking powder.
    I did not use butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber - I am working on this for you, so far I have found that when baking powder is substituted in some baked goods the product will be flat like a cookie. That could be part of what happened. Also, it is vital you bake your biscuits immediately after mixing the baking powder substitute with the wet ingredients. And lastly, be sure the baking powder substitute mixture isn't more than a few months old stored air tight. Next...Did you substitute another fat for the butter? For example, Spectrum shortening or a dairy free butter substitute would work well, and I would sure think coconut oil would be fine too. I am going to experiment a little for you. I do have many corn free recipes because I went corn free a few years ago in hopes it would help my migraines. I am guessing you are corn free? Pacific All Natural Free Range Chicken Broth is suppose to be corn free, gluten free, yeast free and dairy free, and the Organic Free Range Chicken Broth is as well. I am going to find my baking soda biscuit recipe and post it for you from my corn free notebook. Take Care…Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me. :)

    I always mix the baking powder substitute right before I am going to use it. As far as the butter, I ran out of coconut oil, so I did not use anything. Yes, I am corn free. I have a huge list of things I can't have. I could not find any corn free bouillon, so I suppose broth would work?? I will be waiting for your recipe.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hi Amber,
    Finally I hope to have success at getting this reply to you. Last night I lost connection in the middle of my typing, then this morning I was interrupted while typing and lost everything. So now I am going to try again, "third time is a charm" I've heard.
    Anyway… here is the GF, Corn Free Baking Soda Biscuit recipe that can be used in the oven for plain biscuits, or in a soup or casserole. They are somewhat fragile like many gluten free biscuits because there is no egg in the recipe, but they work. And honestly with gluten free biscuits, to eat them plain I need a little dairy free butter and/or jam due to the dryness of biscuits in general, though this might be why they are a good choice for the casserole. If you are looking for a gluten free, egg free biscuit just for eating by the way…try these - http://marysbusykitchencom.blogspot.com/2013/05/its-shortcake-season-i-made-mine-on.html, these actually are quite tasty. Sugar could be substituted with a different dry sweetener, or even reduced. I haven't tried using a liquid sweetener like honey or pure maple syrup for example in this recipe yet. Ok...Back to the biscuits for the casserole!
    Recipe:
    2 cups flour - a gluten free baking mix (I used 1 cup potato starch and 1 cup sorghum flour)
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 Tbsp cooking oil
    2/3 cup cold water or dairy free milk product (I've used rice and soy milk)
    3 tsp corn-free baking powder or 3/4 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/2 tsp hot water. Stir this mixture into cold water or dairy free milk. Prepare this right before baking.

    In a mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder (if using baking powder) and stir.
    Add oil and stir. Mixture will form uneven crumbles. Add water or milk (and baking soda mixture if using that option) and stir until the dough forms a ball cleaning off the sides of the bowl. Knead a few times in the bowl then divide into 6 balls. To bake, leave in ball shape and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes. For a dumpling stew make smaller balls or drop by small spoonfuls into very moist chicken or beef stew. For the casserole above you can also slightly flatten dough balls and place on top of casserole and bake as directed. I hope this helps…good luck, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!!

      I wish the replies were sent to my email because i just noticed this reply as I wanted to try the recipe again and use them as sandwich rolls.

      For the biscuits for the casserole, would I be able to use 2 cups of GF all purpose flour?? If not, I'll have to make this another day as I don't have any other flour in my house except for coconut flour.

      The shortcake sounds and looks amazing. I'll have to buy some xanthan gum and maybe I will try agave or stevia ( I can't have sugar and I stay away from it as much as possible.

      I will keep you updated!

      I signed up for blogger so I could get the replies sent to my email, but there was no option.

      Thank you!!

      Delete
    2. I just finished making these again and they formed better than before, but they weren't as good. ( Scratching my head Hmmm)

      I made these with regular coconut milk and I am positive I made these last time with sweetened vanilla almond milk.

      Delete
    3. Amber my email is mysabrerules@aol.com Yes, a GF all purpose flour is ok, just try to use something that has a combination of a starch with a flour in the mix. Most do. I like Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All -Purpose Flour. Did you use a fat? Can you have eggs?

      Delete