Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Daughter's Mashed Cauliflower



Cauliflower is one of my least favorite vegetables.  The best I can usually do, is eat it raw in fresh green salads with lots of other vegetables. But...I eat it because it is a healthy food, and that is the absolute only reason. I much prefer a food that is healthy AND tasty! Who doesn't, right? 

Thank goodness my daughter made this side dish on one of her visits home from college. I seriously enjoy eating cauliflower this way, so of course I want to share this with you!

Get ready to dish up a healthy AND tasty vegetable, side dish.






My Daughter's Mashed Cauliflower              Serves   2-3
Clean and cut cauliflower in medium to large pieces.
Put cauliflower in a medium size sauce pan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes. Cauliflower should be soft enough for a fork to push through easily.

Preheat oven broiler.

Drain water off, I use a strainer. Return cauliflower to sauce pan or use any type of blending device. I use the same sauce pan to avoid more dishes to wash. Add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Puree with a hand held blender.

Serve now or take it one more step. We like this additional step.  Spread out the cauliflower on a small cookie sheet and broil 3-5 minutes. Times will vary so watch closely. Let it bubble well, but not burn. Serve immediately.

Weight Watcher Points Plus followers only count the olive oil, which is .75 per serving if dividing recipe into 2 servings. Try using 1 tsp oil, only 1/2 a point per serving.  I don't suggest leaving the olive oil out completely unless skipping the broiling step.

Kids are going to like this too! Remember I am not a cauliflower lover…but I love this!

I like mine with a little Earth Balance, or regular butter. 



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment