Sunday, February 16, 2014

Basic GF Vanilla Cupcakes




A basic gluten free cupcake that won't take a lot of special ingredients other than a basic gluten free all-purpose flour blend.



I don't really make a lot of cupcakes, but after a request for some gluten free cupcakes for a friend I started a serious search for the very best tasting vanilla cupcakes I could find.  Several batches went to the fire station, some were tasted by my husband, daughter and myself, and some just myself.



Several pounds later….no kidding. I was happy with my results. In fact, so happy I had trouble deciding which ones to make my friend.

On my blog I will be sharing 3 different recipes I liked for vanilla cupcakes, this is the first…

This recipe comes from the, Living Without Magazine. I highly suggest subscribing to this magazine, I have enjoyed every copy I have received, and I have kept every single one.

Basic GF Vanilla Cupcakes                 Makes about 24 cupcakes
1 cup butter, butter substitute or an all vegetable shortening.
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour blend. (2 cups rice flour, 1 cup tapioca starch, 1 cup cornstarch)  I used  a pre-made all-purpose gluten free flour.
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk, or dairy substitute. I used soy milk.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and vanilla, beat until fluffy, scraping bowl when necessary.

In a separate bowl sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
Honestly though…I rarely sift, I gently whisk the mixture to incorporate air, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Add half the dry mixture to the sugar mixture and beat at a low speed until combined. Add half the milk  product and mix again. Then add the remaining dry ingredients, mix. And the last of the milk.
Mix on a medium-low speed until smooth.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for about 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Let sit a couple minutes in the pans after removing from oven. Then remove cupcakes from pan and continue cooling to room temperature on wire racks.

Frost and/or decorate.

There are some fantastic pre-made  gluten and dairy free frostings available.






Remember to alternate the dry ingredients with the milk.



Mix on low speed after each addition.



After mixing all ingredients on medium speed about 2 minutes it's ready!


Spoon into muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake about 20 min.  (or divide between 2 cake pans and bake about 35 min)



Let sit a couple minutes in the pan after removing from oven and then let cool completely on wire racks. Frost and/or decorate!



Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Real inviting and fantastic cup cakes. It is in my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a cupcake lover that's for sure! I have to freeze them to keep them out of site!! When you get a chance to make them, hope you like them! My absolute favorite ones are the chocolate, which I will post soon!!

    ReplyDelete