Friday, March 7, 2014

GF Quinoa & Oat Energy Bites




 When you are making energy bites and realize you don't have enough oats…what do you do? Add quinoa flakes of course! Then end up liking them even more than your original recipe.

I'm not one to eat a lot of quinoa in general, but wish I did because it is such a healthy grain. So any time I can get away with adding some to a muffin, pancake, waffle or cookie is exciting to me.

These turned out so well, I will most likely keep adding the quinoa flakes in my energy bites from now on.

We go through these so fast I make a big batch and freeze them. In the morning my husband and I each put a couple in a sandwich bag for a  mid-morning or afternoon snack at work.

GF Quinoa & Oat Energy Bites      Makes about 45-48 balls
1 1/4 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats (gluten free)
3/4 cup quinoa flakes
1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut

1 cup peanut butter or any other nut butter, a nice combination is crunchy peanut butter and sunflower seed butter.

1 cup ground flaxseed

2/3 cup honey 
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (optional)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life brand.


Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Combine nut butter, honey, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl.  Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and combine. Use hands if needed. 

Shape into balls using about 1 1/2 Tbsp of mixture per ball. This can get sticky - I find sometimes gloves help in these situations. Refrigerate or freeze to store.


Weight watchers count 3 points per ball.



Everything is nicely mixed up and ready for snacking on while you form your balls!

And finally a nice big batch for the freezer.  


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY love this! It would make a great snack when we go hiking. Will let you know how it turned out when I try it. Thanks for sharing!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Perfect for hiking! We take these with us just about everywhere. I can honestly say that I always have some made up in the freezer. I would love to hear if you like them!
    Take care…Mary

    ReplyDelete