Saturday, June 28, 2014

Homestyle Chili with Mushrooms





I sure was surprised when I tried my son's idea for a great tasting chili! Both my husband and I thought for sure we wouldn't like mushrooms in our chili!!

We were wrong...





Seriously…


 You've got to try this combination!

Homestyle Chili with Mushrooms               
2 lbs  lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 lg white or yellow onion, chopped finely.
1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 - 1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 - 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp pepper
1 - 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
1 - 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2 - 15 oz cans red beans, drained and rinsed.
1 lg can tomatoes, pureed. Or puree your own home grown tomatoes like I do to equal the same amount.  For me it's about 1 full, gallon size freezer bag of frozen tomatoes, defrosted and pureed. (skin and all in the vitamix)
1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
3-4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms.  (go by preference, but they cook down a lot)
* leave out mushrooms for yeast free diets.
*optional - leave out tomato sauce and water for a thicker chili.

In a large kettle brown meat. Drain meat and return to kettle.
Add chopped onion to cooked meat and sauté about 3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms along with all the spices and continue to sauté a few more minutes. Add beans, pureed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer 30 - 40  minutes stirring occasionally.

I give a variance on the spice measurements because we like our chili spicy, but you may like it milder. I suggest tasting as you go…but don't get full!

Serve with a side of corn bread, or try my husband's Corny Corn Bread.






Enjoy!   And remember…you can always freeze leftovers for another meal during a busy week.



No comments:

Post a Comment