Sunday, July 13, 2014

Four Ingredient Chipotle Lime Rice




I eat a lot of rice…and I have kind of gotten into a rut making the same Spanish Rice Recipe (though I love it) all the time. My husband and I happily eat beans and rice every day for lunch. His in a burrito  wrap and mine as a bowl burrito with baked corn chips for dipping. We add, chopped lettuce, salsa, guacamole, olives, and chopped onions. We just happen to love it that much.

I  have to watch how many tomatoes I eat, so I needed to find another rice recipe. 
Plain brown and white rice with beans just doesn't always satisfy my taste buds!  

I was going through some things that needed to be moved for my daughter and found this recipe amongst her cookware.  Since I absolutely LOVE cilantro I didn't have any doubt that I would like it.
It's great with any Mexican dish or with BBQ meats and baked beans. I served it with Pulled Pork sandwiches, Consciouses Cowboy Beans, corn on the cob, coleslaw and fresh fruit for our 4th of July meal.  Then I ate the beans and rice leftovers together for the rest of the week.  

In case you wondered... I liked it!

I'm providing two recipe options. Both are yummy. In the second option I've posted amounts for a smaller batch.

Weight watcher followers would count points the same as plain rice, 5 points for each cup.

Four Ingredient Chipotle Lime Rice      Serves 6
2 cups basmati rice
2 1/4 tsp salt, divided
2-3 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
2-3 Tbsp fresh lime juice, 2 or 3 limes

In a large kettle add 2 tsp of salt to 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
Stir in rice. Boil uncovered for 12 minutes.
Drain water from rice using a fine mesh strainer. Rinse rice with hot water.
Pour rice into a large bowl. Add chopped cilantro, juice from limes, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. 
Mix well, adding more salt to taste. 

Serve and enjoy!




Here is another way to make this rice. This will make a smaller amount.

Two Serving Chipotle Lime Rice
1 tsp butter or oil
2 tsp cilantro
2/3 cup white basmati rice
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 lime
In a sauce pan melt butter or add oil. Heat and add rice and lime. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add water and salt, bring to a boil and let simmer for 25 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro (I like to use more than 2 tsp)
Serve...


Enjoy!
         


2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, Mary! Thanks for sharing. We love to eat rice in our house quite a lot.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David, we eat a lot of rice here too. Love this one myself…think it's the fresh cilantro. : )

    ReplyDelete