Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"Power Up" Fruity Protein Cookies



As I mentioned before when I posted the Chocolate Protein Cookies...
these aren't meant to be a dessert cookie, they are more of a workout or energy type snack.  They also make a great in-between meal snack for maintaining good blood sugar levels.

They are full of nutritious carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats. I keep a small freezer container at work for quick, healthy afternoon "pick-me-up" snack.

This idea came from a book called, Thrive:  A guide to optimal health & performance through plant-based whole foods,written by Brendan Brazier. In this book I found a few interesting recipes. You can read about the author by clicking on the link.

"Power Up"  Fruity Protein Cookies             Makes 16 Cookies
1 cup dates, fresh or soaked (I used 20 California Dates - soaked)
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (about 44 grams) or a fruit flavor,  I used one of each. (vegan)
1/4 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup other nuts of your choice, chopped. I used all walnuts.
1/2  tsp orange zest
1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats, or 1/4 cup quinoa flakes and 3/4 cup oats.
1/2 cup frozen blueberries.


Put first 6 ingredients in a food processor and mix until a thick paste like mixture forms.
Remove mixture and scoop into a mixing bowl. 
Stir in oats and frozen berries. Mix well, ending by kneading mixture with your hands to fully combine.

Shape into flat rounds or squares. I used a  cookie dough scoop for mine. Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon sheets. 
Let sit uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Place in a freezer safe container with wax paper between cookies to prevent sticking.

Eat frozen or at room temperature.  I like to let mine sit out for at least an hour until they dry out just a bit, but my family prefers to eat them frozen.

These protein cookies have 9.25 points each if counting weight watcher points.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment