Saturday, September 27, 2014

Best Way To Store Onions From The Garden


This works so well I just have to share it. 

I told myself I had to try this method for a year first before I posted it…and I did. 

In the past I have always tied my onions on string and hung them from hooks in the basement or garage. (My dad taught me that). It worked pretty well, but often as the onion ends shrunk a bit from drying, they would fall off the string…very annoying!  I got so tired of having to retie them.

Using this new method my onions lasted all year.  

I would love to thank the genius who thought of this!
Using a standard hole punch, punch holes on both sides of lunch size paper bags.

Wash and dry onions. I like to allow them to sit for a little and fully air dry. 

Place several onions in a small paper sack. I put about 2 deep or fill 1/3 of the bag.


Roll the top of bag down and staple closed.


I label the outside of my bags so I know which onions are in each bag. I like to use different onions for specific recipes.


Store sacks of onions in a cool place like a basement or garage.

That's it! Enjoy home grown onions all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment