Friday, September 26, 2014

Gluten Free Banana, Pumpkin & Oat Waffles - no added sugar or fat.


I've been wanting to make some pumpkin waffles but I didn't want to add eggs, fat, or sugar. I really like my Quinoa & Oat Banana waffle recipe so I thought, why not add pumpkin to that…along with some spices of course.

I was happy with the results and I am excited to share them with you.

Hemp seed sprinkled on top before closing the waffle iron is optional.
I like to add about a tablespoon of hemp seeds to my food daily…there are some great nutritional benefits.




Of course these are just as yummy without hemp seed! I made my batch half with hemp seeds and half without.










If you decide to try hemp seeds...
lightly sprinkle over the batter before closing the waffle iron.



And they will be nicely toasted on your finished waffle.



Weight watcher points are 6 per waffle, or 1.5 per section. If adding hemp seeds count an additional point for 1 Tbs.

Gluten Free Banana, Pumpkin & Oat Waffles           Makes 4-5 waffles
2 cup gluten free oats (regular if gluten free is not needed)
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1 banana
3/4 cup pumpkin
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons  hemp seeds (optional)

In a blender add all ingredients. Puree well. Don't worry, you can't over mix these.
Let mixture sit about 10 minutes. 
Prepare waffle iron with a non-stick spray. Heat waffle iron to medium heat. 
Pour 1 cup of batter onto hot waffle iron, sprinkle with some hemp seeds if desired. Let cook 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. 
Remove from waffle iron.

Please Note - If batter becomes too thick while sitting, add more water until desired consistency returns. This will not effect the outcome of the waffles, but you may end up with an extra one.

Serve whole or cut up in 1/4 sections.  Serve with nuts butters, syrups, or  plain as a healthy sugar free snack.  Freeze leftovers for a quick breakfast on a busy morning. Pop in toaster or microwave for quick defrost.


Enjoy!

                                                                                                           


1 comment:

  1. great recipes, I like the sugar cookies, but most all I love orange chicken with brown rice,

    ReplyDelete