Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Heart Healthy Apple Crisp - gluten free, With a New Banana - Grape Sorbet Recipe








I'm always on the look-out for healthier desserts. My husband loves apple crisp…any fruit crisp for that matter. But right now since we have an excess of apples, I am focusing on apples.  I found this recipe in a new cook book called, Forks Over Knives, The Cookbook. It's great, I love the lower fat options. I have made it twice now, and my version has a few changes as far as spices, a thicker crumb topping,  and gluten free oats vs regular oats.




My household likes lots of topping, so I doubled the recipe, and I used sun flower butter instead of cashew butter. As I mention below, any nut butter is fine. I also added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the topping.


Heart Healthy Apple Crisp                        Serves 6-8
8 apples, peeled and sliced (I have also made this with 1/2 pears)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 cloves
2 - 2 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400.  Prepare  9"x 9 " baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl add sliced apples. Sprinkle vanilla extract over sliced apples. In a small dish mix dry ingredients. Add dry mixture to sliced apples mixing well to coat. Pour pure maple syrup over apples and mix well. Pour into pan. Push down a little if it looks like there won't be room for the topping, not to worry...it will cook down.

*Note: Optional tip. I like to precook my filling for about 3-5 minutes in the large mixing bowl before placing into the baking pan. This always ensures the apples fully cook.

Topping
4 1/2  tbsp nut butter, I used sun flower seed butter. Almond, cashew, hazelnut are ideas too.
6 Tbls pure maple syrup
3 Tbls applesauce, I use unsweetened
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups gluten free old fashioned oats, regular if gluten free is not needed
*optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a small mixing bowl add nut butter, pure maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well. Add oats, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Spread the topping over the apples. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Set oven temperature at 350 and continue to bake another 30 minutes. If necessary cover with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning.





Let cool a bit and serve with a fat free Vanilla Soft Serve variation or a whipped topping of your choice.

We served ours with a delicious banana and grape sugar free sorbet that took about 5 minutes to prepare.

Banana - Grape Sorbet
3-4 frozen bananas, cut in chunks
2 1/2 - 3 cups of frozen grapes, we used mixed varieties from our garden
1/4 -1/2 cup non dairy type milk, we used rice milk

Mix in a heavy duty processor stirring often to move the frozen pieces around. Once it is swirling in the processor…it's done.





Maybe pack some apple crisp in a picnic lunch. A delicious treat on a warm fall day.




















Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment