Thursday, February 5, 2015

GF Nutty Energy Squares
























I'm a snacker, that's for sure! When I saw these colorful bars full of nuts and drizzled with chocolate I knew I had to see what they were all about.

I needed a somewhat "less messy" finger food type snack at work, so I decided to leave off the chocolate drizzle and add a handful or two of mini chocolate chips to the mix instead. (I wasn't going to leave the chocolate out completely)
























These started out as bars…but then I decided to cut them into squares, the bars were just a lot for me personally.  Either... or any way you cut them is up to you. 

I think they make a great "pick-me-up" snack in the mid-morning or afternoon.

If you cut them into squares they are about the size of those popular energy balls.  
If you count weight watcher points each square is just under 5 points. 





GF Nutty Energy Squares                  Makes about 27 squares
1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup peanut butter, sunflower butter or any other type.
1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup dried cheeries, cut into smaller pieces. Try dried cranberries or dried blueberries too.
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate  chips, I used Enjoy Life brand, an allergy friendly product.

** I like to roast my pumpkin and sunflower seeds for about 15-20 minutes in a 250 degree oven before using them in this recipe.

Cut parchment paper to line the bottom of an 8"x8" square baking pan. Lightly grease sides with coconut oil, (very lightly).
In a small mixing bowl add honey or pure maple syrup,  peanut butter, and applesauce. Mix well.
In a large mixing bowl add oats, ground flaxseeds, dried cheeries, nuts, seeds, and chocolate chips. Mix well. Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture, mix well. You may even want to use your hands.
Press into the square baking pan. Chill in refrigerator for 3 or more hours before cutting into squares.
Run a knife along sides of pan to help loosen bars from edges. You can even lift the entire solid 8"x8" square out of the pan before cutting. I like to do this, as it is much easier to cut into even squares.
Store in refrigerator for about a week. Or store in a freezer container.






Enjoy!

This post is linked to Savoring Saturdays.

Recipe idea from The Nutty Scoop, No Bake Granola Bars Recipe {Gluten - Free, Vegan}

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious, Mary! Healthy, easy, and kid-friendly. ;) Thanks so much for sharing them at Savoring Saturdays - hope to see you back this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! You can probably tell I love lots of nuts!!

    ReplyDelete