Saturday, September 5, 2015

Nearly No Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies - gluten free option too.


Finally a low-fat cookie that isn't made with bananas... nothing against bananas, I love them, and they are fantastic in low-fat recipes. 


But it is nice to have some options, I don't want everything to have a hint of banana flavor!



Be sure to enjoy a few of these cookies fresh from the oven, and then if you are like me...try some frozen.  

If you count weight watcher points, each cookie has just 3 points. Of course you can reduce that number by making them smaller...but to be honest, I like a bigger cookie.


I have made this recipe with all-purpose flour and a gluten free baking blend. Guess what? I actually thought the gluten free was better.  I've even made these cookies and forgot the corn starch before, and they still turned out fine.   Okay...that was just lucky.  

 Here's the recipe!

















Nearly No Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gluten Free option                Makes 12 cookies
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, I used light.
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk or a non-dairy type, I used soy milk.
1 cup all-purpose flour or a gluten free baking blend. Remember - always stir flour before measuring.
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp chopped nuts, I used walnuts.
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips. I used an allergy friendly chocolate chip.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, a non-stick spray or silicone sheets. These tend to stick a bit.

In a mixing bowl combine the first four ingredients. Mix well.

In a small bowl add all the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Add dry  mixture to applesauce mixture. Stir just to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.

Using a small or medium size cookie scoop, drop batter onto prepared baking pans. Bake for 13-14 minutes, oven times may vary. If you decide to make smaller cookies, bake for about 10 minutes.
If they overcook I feel they become too firm. Let cookies sit a minute or two and move to a wire rack...or eat a few!




Stay heart-healthy and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment