Sunday, October 4, 2015

GF Roasted Tomato Soup - a heart healthy idea.



This was...believe it or not my first time making homemade tomato soup. AND...my first time to actually eat tomato soup. No kidding...I'm in my 50's and had never eaten tomato soup, not once before.  The whole idea just never appealed to me until I saw this recipe.

I love roasted vegetables, so maybe that was the attraction to this recipe.


Before roasting 

After roasting

Whatever the reason was that I decided to try it...I'm sure glad I did!


This recipe idea came from Cooking Classy, Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
I changed the original recipe to fit my own needs.

It's delicious




And really easy



 




Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich. Gluten free breads are delicious made into grilled cheese too.
















GF Roasted Tomato Soup                  6-8 servings
3 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, preferably a combination of Roma and Cherry.
I used whatever I could find in the garden.
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 small yellow onions
4 tsp minced garlic or 8 cloves, peeled. (I used minced garlic)
2 cups fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, I used chicken.

Preheat oven to 425.
Cut Roma and any large tomatoes in halves or fourths. Place tomatoes on a large baking sheet.
Slice onions into half inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet with tomatoes. If using whole garlic, add garlic to baking sheet as well. Brush onions, tomatoes, and whole garlic with olive oil. If you are using minced garlic, after brushing tomatoes and onions with olive oil, sprinkle minced garlic over entire pan of cut tomatoes and onions. Salt and pepper entire  pan. Roast tomatoes and onions for 35-40 minutes. Well done edges are fine, but don't let onions burn. May need to remove onions a few minutes early if they are getting too done.

Remove tomato peels if desired, I don't since they are going to be pureed anyway. Plus, whenever I am using organic fruit and vegetables I prefer to leave the skin on.
Place roasted onions, tomatoes, garlic and basil leaves in a food processor, I used my Vitamix. Puree well.
Add pureed mixture to broth in a large kettle. Bring mixture to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more or less broth depending on desired consistency.  Additional salt and pepper as desired.


 Serve some up and enjoy that hearty flavor.














 Leftovers can be frozen and come in handy on a busy week night.





Enjoy!!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete