Sunday, February 14, 2016

Mary's GF Better Energy Squares

 







All my "taste testers" gave me a thumbs up on these snack bars/energy squares. 
Sweet enough to call dessert, but healthy enough for everyone to enjoy.




The options are limitless with this recipe, nothing is set in stone. In fact...these energy squares could be a great way to use up a lot of leftovers in the cupboard. You can even mix leftover nut butters together, I do this all the time.


















I found the original recipe on a blog called 86LEMONS.com, but I had to roast my nuts and add some coconut to satisfy my tastebuds. I also prefer to use salted cashews...I love that sweet and salty combination with nutty treats.







Honey could be substituted for the agave, but I chose agave because it is better for my blood sugar.
I hope you give these a try soon...I can't wait to hear what you think!






















Mary's GF Better Energy Squares
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if needed
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
1/2 cup roasted almonds
1/2 cup agave
1 cup peanut butter, I use a natural peanut butter or sunflower butter without sugar
1/3 -1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Prepare a square 9"x9" pan with parchment paper for easy removal of bars. Wax paper would be fine too.
In a small bowl combine nut butter of choice and agave. In a medium size bowl add all other ingredients. Mix well. Add nut butter mixture to dry mixture and mix well. At one point I just use my hands to really incorporate all the ingredients. Press into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm. Lift entire square out of pan by holding onto the parchment paper to lift out. This makes cutting into the squares much easier. But of course my husband can't wait and starts cutting pieces right out of the pan!
Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

I like to store these in the freezer, and of course I make a double or triple batch!


















Enjoy!

This recipe is linked to Savoring Saturdays.



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love all the seeds and nuts! Thank you so much for sharing them at Savoring Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can be addicting! They were a huge hit at work. Thanks for your support Raia!

    ReplyDelete