Monday, May 2, 2016

Gluten Free Baked Falafel with Tahini Sauce

























I love falafel.  I've actually only had it a couple times, and I didn't even know was deep fried until I found this recipe.

I was thrilled to find this recipe, it tastes a lot like the falafel I had in New York...well, almost.

At least this is a much healthier version, which means I can eat it more often. Most of the falafel I have found ready-made has wheat in it. This particular recipe has no flour at all, and no added fat.

If you count weight watcher points, each falafel has less than 1 point. A serving of 8 falafels adds up to  just 6 points.








Falafel is delicious dipped in something called Tahini sauce. It is also yummy in a warm corn or flour tortilla with or without a leaf of romaine.





I got this recipe idea from the cookbook, The China Study Quick & Easy Cookbook. I made a couple changes for my own personal convenience.


Gluten Free Falafel                            Makes about 30 Falafel
2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed.
1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely.
3 tsp minced garlic.
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a baking sheet with a non-stick spray or cover with parchment paper.
Add all ingredients into a food processor  to combine, leaving just a little texture.
Use a small cookie scoop, form small balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes, turning falafel over after 10 minutes.

Enjoy with some fresh tahini sauce or in a warm tortilla with some tahini sauce.



Tahini Sauce                      Makes 1 cup
1/2 cup tahini
4 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp salt or to taste
4 Tbsp water
Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and serve with falafel or chill to serve with vegetable sticks.

Weight watcher points for tahini sauce count as 2.5 points for 2 Tbsp.



This original Tahini Sauce is by, Wendy Solganik, found in the Forks Over Knives App.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment