Sunday, July 17, 2016

Jo's Zuppa Soup - a gluten free dinner idea


Who's Jo, you might ask...Jo is my mom. She loves this soup!

I realize most folks call this, Zuppa Toscana Soup...but my mom just calls it Zuppa soup, and that's the only way I've  know it.

She got the recipe from a friend a few years ago. While she was recovering from back surgery, she asked me if I would make her some. And of course I did! In fact I made a double batch so she could take some home and freeze it for several "ready-made" dinners.

Personally I think it's a little heavy on the fats.  I'm going to suggest a few lighter substitutions, and I will definately make a lighter version next time as well. We have cholesterol watchers at our house!

I like that fresh kale is added to this soup, and I just happened to be growing some in my garden. The kale adds  nice color to the soup, not to mention it's a super healthy vegetable.






 I should mention it's gluten free.  Just be sure to check the labels on the sausage and the bouillon.



















Jo's Zuppa Soup
1 lb Italian sausage, check labels for gluten free if needed. Optional - use a less fat sausage.
4-5 pieces of bacon, sliced or cut up in chunks. Optional - turkey bacon for less fat.
1 lg white onion, diced. I probably used a yellow onion.
1 cup heavy cream. Optional - half & half, or 2% milk for less fat.
3 lg potatoes, peeled and sliced.
2-3 tsp minced garlic.
1/4 bunch of fresh kale, chopped.
1 tsp crushed red peppers.
5 chicken bouillon cubes. Gluten free if needed. Herb Ox is gluten free.
10 cups water.

Cook sausage in a large kettle. Drain off fat. Add crushed red peppers, saute another minute or two. Remove sausage from kettle and chill until ready to use.
In same kettle cook bacon, onions, and garlic. Spoon off as much bacon fat as possible.
Add chicken bouillon, and water. Bring to a boil.
Add sliced potatoes and kale and cook until soft. Add cream or lower fat options and sausage; heat thoroughly.

Serve!



I made my family's favorite, Quick  Homemade Dinner Rolls to go with this soup.




Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment